" I truly think it is best to be a robin lightly dressed concocting soup inside my nest" ~Maurice Sendak

Lazy Daze

I apologize.
I haven't been posting as often as I should.
You see I am still in holiday mode and we are busy renovating our backyard.

I know, sad excuses.


I made this recipe back in July when the weather was warmer and our barbecue was accessible and not at the far back corner of the yard.
This dish is so easy to prepare and full of Caribbean island flavors. I used large wild brown shrimp here but any raw shrimp will work .
While the shrimp is marinating you can prepare the rice.


So put on a bit of Reggae and enjoy the last few weeks of the lazy days of summer.




Island Grilled Shrimp with Rice and Peas

Shrimp Marinade
  • 1/4 cup of olive oil
  • 4 tbsp each of lime juice and orange juice
  • 1/2 tsp of crushed chili pepper or cayenne powder
  • 1 tsp each of minced garlic, honey and brown sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 pound of large prepared shrimp.
Combine all in a bowl and marinate for 20 minutes to 1 hour.
Cook on a barbecue grill topper until opaque pink color.


Rice and Peas

  • 1 cup of white rice
  • 3 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
  • 1 can of drained rinsed black beans
  • 1/2 tsp of chili powder or jerk spice
In a pot bring the broth and seasoning to a boil add the rice cover reduce heat and cook until rice is tender and broth is absorbed.
Add the beans and mix well.
Serve with grilled shrimp on top.

Wine Suggestion: Gewürztraminer

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Web Site Counter