" I truly think it is best to be a robin lightly dressed concocting soup inside my nest" ~Maurice Sendak

Easy as Pie

I have said it before, Fall is my favorite time of year.

One of my favorite things to do is to go apple picking. We were disappointed this year when our favorite orchard was not offering pick your own this year due to a bad season of rain and wind..
Has anyone else encountered this at your local apple orchards?
Thank goodness I was still able to purchase some apples as they had a few varieties on sale.

In my previous recipes I have used store bought pie crust because I have said I am not good at making my own. That is until my friend shared her pie crust recipe with me. I had no idea it could be so easy and if you own a food processor it is even easier.
This crust is the flakiest lightest I have ever had. It is so much better than commercial store bought types.
Look out, I will be making pie from scratch much more often now!
This is a wonderful alternative pie to top off your Thanksgiving dinner as it is much lighter than pumpkin pie.

Thank you Adriana for sharing your recipe with me.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!


Easiest Ever Apple Pie

Pie Crust Pastry
  • 21/2 cups of flour
  • 1 cup of cold hard butter
  • 1 tbs sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup or so of ice water
In a food processor add the flour, sugar,salt and butter.
Pulse until crumbly and course.
Slowly add water and pulse until dough forms a ball.

Remove and divide in half (top and bottom crust).
Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 hour or overnight.


Pie Filling

  • 6 to 8 apples ( Granny Smith, Macintosh or Royal Gala are good)
  • 1/2 a cup of sugar ( brown if you prefer a less sweet pie)
  • 1 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg. (You can use more if you like.)

Peel, core and slice apples.
Combine in a bowl with spices.

Roll out pie crusts on a floured surface with a rolling pin.
Place one crust in the bottom of a greased pie pan.

Place apples on top and cover with second crust.
Crimp or twist edges together with fingers.

Cut vents in the top to let steam escape.
If desired you can brush a beaten egg over top and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake in preheated oven at 400F for 20 minutes.
Reduce to 350F heat and bake for a further 35 minutes.

Cool on wire rack.


Cheers!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Web Site Counter