" I truly think it is best to be a robin lightly dressed concocting soup inside my nest" ~Maurice Sendak

3 Years

Almost to the day. 3 years since I have posted here. A lot has happened since then, new career, kids grew up and life got busy. I'm not even sure folks read blogs like this anymore do they?
Anyway today I found myself home with a day off and it is cold, windy and snowing like crazy. As usual I found refuge in the kitchen making a hearty dish to warm body and soul.
So I thought I would dust off this old blog and give it new life with some changes though.
 I will not just be posting recipes. I will post my reviews of restaurants and food related products and equipment as well.

With that said I give you today a different version of a previous post of Coq au Vin from a long while back.
http://hallinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2008/03/tres-bon.html

I've made a heartier version here with red wine and brandy. Perfect for a -20C degree day like today. You can adjust amounts for your needs. (I'm just cooking for two most days now)
It is good to be back!
Coq au Vin


  • 1 pound chicken parts (legs/ thighs )
  • 2 cups of red wine
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup diced bacon
  • salt and cracked pepper
  • 1 red onion diced
  • 6 large white mushrooms chopped
  • 3 carrots sliced
  • 3 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 ounce brandy
  •  2 tbsp thyme
  • 3 bay leaves
  • ~ oil (grapeseed, olive or vegetable)



Preheat oven to 325F
In a large cast iron or regular dutch oven heat a few glugs of oil.
Add the bacon and fry until crispy, remove and reserve.
Add the chicken and brown on all sides. Set aside with the bacon.
Add the onion, mushrooms and carrots and saute until soft.
Add the flour and tomato paste and cook for a minute stirring.
Slowly add the brandy and stir to deglaze the pan.
Add the wine, broth, thyme and bay leaves.
Add back the chicken and bacon, bring to a low boil .
Cover and place in oven. Cook for about 2 hours or until chicken is pulling away from the bones. Remove bay leaves and serve over mashed potatoes or rice.

Wine Suggestion: Cabernet Sauvignon

Cheers!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Web Site Counter