" I truly think it is best to be a robin lightly dressed concocting soup inside my nest" ~Maurice Sendak

In Short of It


I love trying different cuts of meat. Two of my favorites now are oxtail and beef short ribs

I find both much cheaper and easier to find in Asian food markets. I was lucky to score a large package of short ribs for four dollars on the weekend. When cheap cuts of beef on the bone are braised for hours in the oven submerged in liquid the result is fall off the bone melt in your mouth meat.

St. Patrick’s Day fare is often hearty fare like braised meats and potatoes paired with dark ales and stouts. Perfect for the blustery March weather.

This dish is now one of my favorites and combines all the above components for a wonderful St. Patrick’s Day meal.



Ale and Molasses Oven Short Ribs



  2 ½ lbs beef short ribs
oil
2 cups chopped onions
  2 tbsp minced garlic
  1 tsp dried sage
  ½ can of tomato paste
  2 tbsp molasses
  I can of dark beer (I used a coffee infused one)
  1 cup beef stock
 1 tsp browning liquid (optional but makes the gravy nice and dark)


Preheat oven to 325F
In an oven proof Dutch oven heat a few glugs of oil and brown the ribs on all sides.
Remove and set aside on a plate.
Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are tender.
Add and combine remaining ingredients.
Add ribs back in and bring to a simmer.
Cover and place in the oven for 3 hours.
Remove lid for last 15 minutes or so if liquid not reduced enough.
Serve over mashed potatoes. Sauce over top. 

Wine or Beer suggestion: Shiraz or Guinness



Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Web Site Counter