" I truly think it is best to be a robin lightly dressed concocting soup inside my nest" ~Maurice Sendak

Hot Stuff


As I write this wind and snow is blowing outside my window, so this recipe has me thinking about the warm south.

Homebound on another winter storm day this week I created this hearty southwestern style chicken stew. The hot peppers I was recently given as my inspiration.

A huge jar of jalapenos, can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and tabaco sauce are now in my possession. My mission is to find ways to use them up.

I used boneless chicken breasts in this stew as it was what I had on hand however boneless thighs can be used instead. 

You can adjust or omit the jalapenos to suit your taste



Southwestern Chipotle Chicken Stew



·       oil
·       2 pounds of boneless chicken cubed
·       1 onion diced
·       1 carrot diced
·       1 red bell pepper diced
·       1 tbsp. minced garlic
·       2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce chopped
·       1 tsp cumin
·       I can of small red kidney beans
·       I cup white rice
·       I can diced tomatoes
·       1.5 cups chicken stock



Preheat oven to 300F
Heat oil of choice in oven proof dutch oven
Add the chicken and vegetables and sauté until lightly browned.
Add seasonings, hot peppers, rice, beans and tomatoes and combine.
Bring to a low boil and then place in oven for about 3 hours.
Wine Suggestion: Spanish Tempernillo

Cheers!














No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Web Site Counter