If you are like me, the warmer weather gives me the desire to cook and eat lighter.
A great way to give a dish a summer flair is to add fruit. This salad is great on it's own as a light meal or a side dish . It is also wonderful spooned over chicken or fish and baked in the oven or wrapped in foil on the grill*. (as pictured below)
Southwest Mango & Black Bean Salad
- 1 540ml can of black beans
- 1 mango peeled, pit removed and diced.
- 1/2 sweet red bell pepper diced
- 2 green onions diced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp chili powder or southwest seasoning
- 1Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
Combine all in bowl and toss.
Chill in fridge for 30 min to allow flavors to blend.
* Option to add 1/4 cup of salsa to the mixture before spooning over chicken or fish for grilling or baking.
I made this last night and everyone was raving! Even the kids! I served it on Chicken breasts upon a bed of white rice.
Wine Suggestion:White Zinfandel Blush