" I truly think it is best to be a robin lightly dressed concocting soup inside my nest" ~Maurice Sendak

Childhood Memories

There are some dishes that remind us of our childhood. Foods our mothers made that create a feeling of comfort.
For me, one of those dishes is Shepherd Pie.
My mother made it often and now I make it for my children and they adore it.
It is a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes and vegetables.

I don't know what her secret is, but I have to say now matter how hard I try, mine still does not taste like Mom's.

Shepherds Pie

  • I pound of lean ground beef
  • 1 small onion diced
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tsp each of thyme, savory and parsley
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 cups of beef broth
  • 1/2 cup mixed vegetables or diced carrots, beans and peas.
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 4 cups of mashed potatoes
  • paprika
Preheat oven to 375
In a large deep frying pan cook the onion and beef until brown.Sprinke with the flour and mix well.
Add the spices, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, vegetables and broth.
Bring to a low boil and simmer for 10 minutes until thick like gravy.
Remove bay leaves.
Pour into casserole dish and spread mashed potatoes over top.
Sprinkle with paprika and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.

Cheers!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Web Site Counter